Ielfric sentence example
- In 984 he was appointed through Dunstan's influence to the bishopric of Winchester, and in 1006 he succeeded iElfric as archbishop of Canterbury.
- The Latin preface to the first series enumerates some of iElfric's authorities, the chief of whom was Gregory the Great, but the short list there given by no means exhausts the authors whom he consulted.
- Thus we find Alfred the Great translating the homilies of Bede; and in a similar manner arose iElfric's Anglo-Saxon Homilies and the German Homiliarium of Ottfried of Weissenburg.
- Towards the close of the century the Old Testament found a translator in iElfric (q.v.), the most eminent scholar in the close.
- Dietrich, iElfric's most competent biographer (Niedner's, Zeitschrift fiir historische Theologie, 1855-1856), looks upon the Pentateuch, Joshua and Judges as a continuation of his Lives of Saints, including as they do in a series of narratives the Old Testament saints.Advertisement