Ielfric sentence example
- In 984 he was appointed through Dunstan's influence to the bishopric of Winchester, and in 1006 he succeeded iElfric as archbishop of Canterbury.
- IElfric no doubt gained some reputation as a scholar at Winchester, for when, in 987, the abbey of Cernel (Cerne Abbas, Dorsetshire) was finished, he was sent by Bishop iElfheah (Alphege), thelwold's successor, at the request of the chief benefactor of the abbey, the ealdorman IEthelmar, to teach the Benedictine monks there.
- Benjamin Thorpe, 1844-1846, for the IElfric Society), compiled from the Christian fathers, and dedicated to Sigeric, arch bishop of Canterbury (990-994).
- The Latin preface to the first series enumerates some of iElfric's authorities, the chief of whom was Gregory the Great, but the short list there given by no means exhausts the authors whom he consulted.
- Thus we find Alfred the Great translating the homilies of Bede; and in a similar manner arose iElfric's Anglo-Saxon Homilies and the German Homiliarium of Ottfried of Weissenburg.Advertisement
- During the same half-century, iElfric, the abbot of Eynsham (d.
- Towards the close of the century the Old Testament found a translator in iElfric (q.v.), the most eminent scholar in the close.
- Dietrich, iElfric's most competent biographer (Niedner's, Zeitschrift fiir historische Theologie, 1855-1856), looks upon the Pentateuch, Joshua and Judges as a continuation of his Lives of Saints, including as they do in a series of narratives the Old Testament saints.
- Esther (Halle, 1885), and Abt iElfric's Judith (in Anglia, vol.
- The identity of !Ethic the grammarian with IElfric archbishop of York was also discussed by Henry Wharton, in Anglia Sacra (1691, vol.Advertisement