Idas sentence example
- But he shared the highest idas of the age respecting the responsibilities of a king, and throughout his long reign.
- There are even traces of a third version, in which the Messenian twins, Idas and Lynceus, appear.
- IDAS, in Greek legend, son of Aphareus of the royal house of Messene, brother of Lynceus.
- Zeus intervened, and left the choice to Marpessa, who declared in favour of Idas, fearing that the god might desert her when she grew old (Apollodorus i.Advertisement
- Idas claimed the whole of the booty as the victor in a contest of eating, and drove the cattle off to Messene.
- But Lynceus, whose keenness of sight was proverbial, saw Castor through the trunk and warned his brother, who thereupon slew the mortal Castor; finally, Pollux slew Lynceus, and Idas was struck by lightning (Apollodorus iii.
- Idas and Lynceus were originally gods of light, probably the sun and moon, the herd of cattle (for the possession of which they strove with the Dioscuri) representing the heavenly bodies.
- The grave of Idas and Lynceus was shown at Sparta, according to Pausanias (iii.
- On the chest of Cypselus, Marpessa is represented as following Idas from the temple of Apollo (by whom, according to some, she had been carried off), and there was a painting by Polygnotus of the rape of the Leucippidae in the temple of the Dioscuri at Athens.Advertisement
- iv.) represents Idas and the Dioscuri driving off cattle.