Icones sentence example
- Birds of Europe in five volumes, published between 1832 and 1837, while in the interim (1834) appeared A Monograph of the Ramphastidae, of which a second edition was some years later called for, then the Icones avium, of which only two parts were published (1837-1838), and A Monograph of the Trogonidae (1838), which also reached a second edition.
- Gesner's figure of the aurochs, or as he calls it "thur," given in the Icones to his History of Animals, was probably adapted from Herberstein's.
- It was dedicated to King James I., and Knolles availed himself largely of Jean Jacques Boissard's Vitae et Icones Sultanorum Turcicorum (Frankfort, 1596).
- His zoological labours may be said to conclude with the atlas Icones zootomicae (Leipzig, 1841).
- This was supplemented by an atlas, Icones physiologicae (Leipzig, 1839).Advertisement
- This description, taken from a letter in 1579 by his junior contemporary Sir Peter Young, is very like Beza's fine engraving of him in the Icones - an engraving probably founded on a portrait which was to be sent by Young to Beza along with the letter.
- He described many fossils in the British Museum in a classic work entitled Icones fossilium sectiles (1820-1825).
- See John Quick's MS. Icones Sacrae Anglicanae, which gives the fisherman anecdote on the personal authority of one who was present; Life by Nethenus prefixed to collected edition of Latin works (5 vols., Amsterdam, 1658); Winwood's Memorials, vol.