Heemskirk sentence example
- He was furnished with a yacht, the " Heemskirk," and a fly-boat, the " Zeehaen " (or " Sea Hen "), under the command of Captain Jerrit Jansen.
- By 1642 they had spread to South Island, for there Abel Jansen Tasman found them when, in the course of his circuitous voyage from Java in the "Heemskirk," he chanced upon the archipelago, coasted along much of its western side, though without venturing to land, and gave it the name it still bears.
- Grotius undertook to prove that Heemskirk's prize had been lawfully captured.
- It was necessary to Grotius's defence of Heemskirk that he should show that the Portuguese pretence that Eastern waters were their private property was untenable.
- One of their captains, Heemskirk, had captured a rich Portuguese galleon in the Straits of Malacca.Advertisement