Haynau sentence example
- JULIUS JACOB HAYNAU (1786-1853), Austrian general, was the natural son of the landgrave - afterwards elector - of Hesse-Cassel, William IX.
- In June 1849 Haynau was called to Vienna to command first an army of reserve, and then in the field against the Hungarians.
- On the 11th of October 1808 Haynau had married Therese von Weber, the daughter of Field Marshal Lieutenant Weber, who was slain at Aspern.
- Feldzeugmeisters Julius Freiherrn von Haynau (Vienna, 1875).
- Field-Marshal von Haynau, the atrocities which Reducfollowed earning for Haynau the name of The tion of Hyena of Brescia.Advertisement
- This led the latter to push on without due regard to tactical precautions, and Blucher took advantage of their carelessness when at Haynau (May 26), with some twenty squadrons of Landwehr cavalry, he surprised, rode over and almost destroyed Maison's division.
- The Austrian commander-in-chief, Count Haynau, was to attack Hungary from the west, the Russian, Prince Paskevich, from the north, gradually environing the kingdom, and then advancing to end the business by one decisive blow in the mid-Theissian counties.
- Haynau's first victories (June 20-28) put an end to their indecisions.
- 9) by Haynau.
- One of the public squares contains a martyrs' monument, erected in memory of the thirteen Hungarian generals shot here on the 6th of October 1849, by order of the Austrian general Haynau.Advertisement
- HAINAU (officially Haynau), a town of Germany, in the Prussian province of Silesia, on the Schnelle Deichsa and the railway from Breslau to Dresden, 1 2 m.
- Julius Jacob Haynau >>
- From October 1849 to July 1850 Hungary was governed by martial law administered by " the butcher " Haynau.
- It belonged to Venice until 1797, when it came under Austrian dominion; it revolted in 1848, and again in 1849, being the only Lombard town to rally to Charles Albert in the latter year, but was taken after ten days' obstinate street fighting by the Austrians under Haynau.