Hauteville sentence example
- From this station as a centre the little band of adventurers, playing the Greeks off against the Lombards, and the Lombards against the Greeks, spread their power in all directions, until they made themselves the most considerable force in southern Italy William of Hauteville was proclaimed count of Apulia.
- This, while the elder branch of the Hauteville family still held the title and domains of the Apulian duchy; but in 1127, upon the death of his cousin Duke William, Roger united the whole of the future realm.
- By the consolidation of Apulia, Calabria and Sicily into a powerful kingdom, by checking the growth of the maritime republics and by recognizing the over-lordship of the papal see, the house of Hauteville influenced the destinies of Italy with more effect than any of the princes who had previously dealt with any portion of the peninsula.
- to Constance, daughter of King Roger, and heiress of the Hauteville dynasty.
- The one claimed an existing kingdom, and obtained full possession of it in a comparatively short time; the other formed for himself a dominion bit by bit, which rose to the rank of a kingdom I Roger de Hauteville, the conqueror of Sicily, was a brother of the first four dukes or counts of Apulia, and was invested with the countship of Sicily by the pope before starting on his adventure.Advertisement
- The chroniclers of the conquest of Apulia and Sicily use the Norman name in every page as the name of the followers of the conquerors from Hauteville.
- He quarrelled with Tancred, the last of the Hauteville dynasty, and sacked the town.
- distant from the centre, command all the great roads, while the hilly ground to the west is protected by Fort Hauteville to the N.W.
- In 1090 Count Roger the Norman (son of Tancred de Hauteville), then master of Sicily, came to Malta with a small retinue; the Arab garrison was unable to offer effective opposition, and the Maltese were willing and able to welcome the Normans as deliverers and to hold the island after the immediate withdrawal of Count Roger.
- (1031-1101), ruler of Sicily, was the youngest son of Tancred of Hauteville.Advertisement
- The conquest was the work of one " man, Count Roger of the house of Hauteville (see Roger I.).
- In any case Roger claimed at once, not only all the Hauteville possessions, but also the overlordship of Capua, for which Richard II.
- He began at once to enforce order in the Hauteville possessions, where the ducal power had long been falling to pieces.
- It is sufficient here to state that the leaders of the house of Hauteville, Robert Guiscard and Richard of Aversa, in 1059 did homage to Pope Nicholas II.
- for all conquests they had made both in the island and upon the mainland, and that in 1130 Roger de Hauteville (Roger II.Advertisement
- In 1030 there arrived William and Drogo, the two eldest sons of Tancred of Hauteville, a petty noble of Coutances in Normandy..
- the sixth son of Tancred of Hauteville.
- Created in the 1400s to counter the threat of the Crusade, Circle Lightfall was the brainchild of Jeanne Tournay, a French Lightbringer, and her husband Gideon de Hauteville.