Hauterive sentence example
- Later he held a similar position at Tours, and there he attracted the attention of the duc de Choiseul, who invited him to visit him at Chanteloup. Hauterive thus came in contact with the great men who visited the duke, and one of these, the comte de Choiseul-Goiffier, on his appointment as ambassador to Constantinople in 1784 took him with him.
- Hauterive was enriched for a time by his marriage with a widow, Madame de Marchais, but was ruined by the Revolution.
- In 1798, after trying his hand at farming in America, Hauterive was appointed to a post in the French foreign office.
- In 1805 a difference of opinion with Talleyrand on the question of the Austrian alliance, which Hauterive favoured, led to his withdrawal from the political side of the ministry of foreign affairs, and he was appointed keeper of the archives of the same department.
- There is a detailed account of Hauterive, with considerable extracts from his correspondence with Talleyrand, in the Biographie universelle by A.Advertisement
- de Hauterive, L'Armee sous la Revolution, 1789-1794 (Paris, 1894); A.
- The first of these was Ober den Unsprung andCharakterdesKrieges gegen die franzosische Revolution (1801), by many regarded as Gentz's masterpiece; another important brochure, Von dem politischen Zustande von Europa vor and nach der Revolution, a criticism of Hauterive's De l'etat de la France a la fin de l'an VIII, appeared the same year.