Haud sentence example
- in the year 1147, we have the bard testifying to the supereminence of the Cid among his country's heroes: "Ipse Rodericus Mio Cid semper vocatus, De quo cantatur quod ab hostibus haud superatus, Qui domuit Mauros, comites domuit quoque nostros."
- The antelopes include the beisa oryx, fairly common and widely distributed; the greater and lesser kudu (the greater kudu is not found on the Ogaden plateau); the Somali hartebeest (Bubalis Swaynei), found only in the Haud and Ogo districts; waterbuck, rare except along the Webi Shebeli and the Nogal; the dol or Somali bushbuck; the dibatag or Clarke's gazelle; the giraffe-like gerenuk or Waller's gazelle, very common; the aoul or Soemmering's gazelle, widely distributed; the dero (Gazella Speki); and the small dikdik or sakaro antelope, found in almost every thicket.
- Of those who essayed to cross the waterless Haud more than one lost his life.
- South of the Golis the ground falls gradually to the central plateau known as the Haud, a waterless but not unfertile district.
- The Haud (only the northern part of which is British territory - the rest is Abyssinian) consists partly of thorn jungle, the haud of the Somali, partly of rolling grass plains, called ban, and partly of semi-desert country called aror.Advertisement
- To this succeeds the Nogal district, separated both from the Sorl and the Haud by ranges of low hills.
- The Nogal and the neighbouring regions of the Haud are also known, from the tribes inhabiting them, as the Dolbahanta country.
- Colonel Swayne thrice defeated the enemy, who lost 1200 men and 600 taken prisoners, and the mullah fled across the Haud, taking refuge with the Mijertin in Italian territory.
- Overcoming in a remarkable manner the difficulties of operating in the dry season, Colonel Swayne harried the mullah incessantly, and followed him across the Haud into the more fertile region of Mudug in Italian territory, permission so to do being granted by Italy.
- He is there described as "Walwen qui fait haud degener Arturis ex sorore nepos."Advertisement
- Manning, Menelek provided a force of 5000 to co-operate with the British and to occupy the Webi Shebeli and south-western parts of the Haud.
- aw ma richts an ye ask whit fir I dinnae let ye haud them.
- I said the Deare was not a haud credo, ' twas a Pricket Hol.
- ` Quapropter locus est intactus, inane, vacansque Q uod si non esset, nulla ratione moveri Res possent; namque, officium quod corporis exstat, Officere atque obstare, id in omni tempore adesset Omnibus: haud igitur quicquam procedere posset, Principium quoniam cedendi nulla daret res.'
- (antipope) being consecrated his successor by three "catascopi haud episcopi," as Athanasius called them.Advertisement