Harrismith sentence example
- This line is continued via Harrismith and Bethlehem to Kroonstad (393 m.
- It was proposed to include in Natal such portions of the Harrismith and Vrede districts as were comprised by a line following the Elands river north from its source on the Basutoland border to its junction with the Wilge river, and thence drawn straight to the point where the boundaries of Natal, the Transvaal and the Orange River Colony meet on the Drakensberg.
- By the end of the year the blockhouse system was complete, but this phase of the war was destined to close badly as De Wet on Christmas Eve captured a large force of Yeomanry at Tweefontein, west of Harrismith.
- HARRISMITH, a town in the Orange Free State, 60 m.
- Harrismith has a dry, bracing climate and enjoys a high reputation in South Africa as a health resort.Advertisement
- Harrismith was founded in 1849, the site first chosen being on the Elands river, where the small town of Aberfeldig now is; but the advantages of the present site soon became apparent and the settlement was removed.
- The northern slopes of Mont aux Sources (11,000 ft.), the highest land in South Africa, are within the province, as are also the Draken's Berg (5682 ft.), the mountain from which the range takes its name, Melanies Kop (7500 ft.) and Platberg (about 8000 ft.), near Harrismith.
- In the eastern districts of Harrismith, Bethlehem, Ficksburg and Ladybrand the Basutos are largely concentrated.
- Harrismith, 8300, is in the N.E.
- of Harrismith, an agricultural and coal-mining centre; Senekal, 1039; Heilbron, 1544; Vrede, 1543; Frankfort, 747; Lindley, 646; and Reitz, 526.Advertisement
- At the census of 1904 Harrismith and Kroonstad were the only towns where the white inhabitants outnumbered the coloured population.
- The second system is formed by a line leaving the Natal trunk railway at Ladysmith which crosses the Drakensberg at Van Reenen's Pass and is continued thence through Harrismith to Bethlehem.
- The same regions, together with the adjacent regions of Harrismith and Thaba'nchu, produce the most oats and oathay.
- Petroleum has been found in the Ficksburg, Ladybrand and Harrismith districts, and is pumped to a limited extent.
- Harrismith >>Advertisement
- Another railway connects it with Natal via Harrismith.