Harpalus sentence example
- In 324 the Areopagus, after inquiry, reported that nine men had taken bribes from Harpalus, the fugitive treasurer of Alexander.
- In the Harpalus affair, Demosthenes was doubtless innocent, and so, probably, were others of the accused.
- [i] p. 14), and Harpalus over the whole finances of the empire, with his seat in Babylon.
- In the winter of 325-324 Harpalus, the receiver-general of Alexander in Asia, fled to Greece, taking with him 8000 mercenaries, and treasure equivalent to about a million and a quarter sterling.
- For zeal which could be bought Harpalus had other persuasions.Advertisement
- Antipater and Olympias presently demanded the surrender of Harpalus.
- But he reconciled the dignity with the loyalty of Athens by carrying a decree that Harpalus should be arrested, and that his treasure should be deposited in the Parthenon, to be held in trust for Alexander.
- Harpalus escaped from prison.
- The amount of the treasure, which Harpalus had stated as 700 talents, proved to be no more than 350.
- First, that Demosthenes was not bribed by Harpalus.Advertisement
- At last, as the emissary persisted in his bland persuasions, he looked up and said, - "Archias, you never moved me by your acting, and you Affair of Harpalus.