Hanau sentence example
- In 1669 he published his Physica subterranea, and the same year was engaged with the count of Hanau in a scheme for settling a large territory between the Orinoco and the Amazon.
- The chief manufacturing centres are Cassel, Diez, Eschwege, Frankfort, Fulda, Gross Almerode, Hanau and Hersfeld.
- Blucher did not succeed in overtaking the French, but the latter, near Hanau, found their way barred by Wrede with 50,000 men and over loo guns in a strong position.
- The last, considered the best, was corrected and re-edited by Albert Molnar at Hanau in 1608.7 Heltai published also (1571) a translation, improved from that by Blasius Veres (1565), of the Tripartitum of VerbOczy, and Chronika (1575) adapted from the Decades of Bonfini.
- The Hessians retired upon Hanau to join the 8th Federal corps; only the Hanoverians remained in the north, and they too, threatened by Beyer's advance, marched from their point of concentration at GÃ¶ttingen southward for the Main.Advertisement
- The municipal (or Murhard) library, in the Hanau park, contains 118,000 volumes.
- The elector now retired to Hanau, appointed his son Frederick William regent, and took no further part in public affairs.
- Wissowa, Religion and Kultus der Romer, p. 355 seq.; monograph by Wackermann (Hanau, 1888); C. Pascal, Studii di antichita e mitologia (1896).
- Among the principal buildings are the ancient castle, formerly the residence of the counts of Hanau; the church of St John, dating from the 17th century, with a handsome tower; the old church of St Mary, containing the burial vault of the counts of Hanau; the church in the new town, built by the Walloons in the beginning of the 17th century in the form of two intersecting circles; the Roman Catholic church, the synagogue, the theatre, the barracks, the arsenal and the hospital.
- Hanau is the birthplace of the brothers Grimm, to whom a monument was erected here in 1896.Advertisement
- Hanau is the principal commercial and manufacturing town in the province, and stands next to Cassel in point of population.
- From the number of urns, coins and other antiquities found near Hanau it would appear that it owes its origin to a Roman settlement.
- Napoleon on his retreat from Leipzig defeated the Germans under Marshal Wrede at Hanau, on the 30th of October 1813; and on the following day the allies vacated the town, when it was entered by the French.
- Early in the 15th century Hanau became the capital of a principality of the Empire, which on the death of Count Reinhard in 1451 was partitioned between the Hanau-Miinzenberg and HanauLichtenberg lines, but was reunited in 1642 when the elder line became extinct.
- Wille, Hanau im dreissigjahrigen Krieg (Hanau, 1886); and Junghaus, Geschichte der Stadt and des Kreises Hanau (1887).Advertisement
- In 1764 he entered the service of the landgrave of Hesse-Darmstadt at Hanau, becoming professor of mathematics at the military academy, head of the civil engineering department of the state, director of the theatre and (1774) of the mint.
- The Hessians retired upon Hanau to join the 8th Federal corps; only the Hanoverians remained in the north, and they too, threatened by Beyer's advance, marched from their point of concentration at GÃƒ¶ttingen southward for the Main.