Hamathite sentence example
- As usually happens when a new class of antiquities is announced, it was soon found that the " Hamathite " inscriptions did not stand alone.
- Layard in the palace of Assur-bani-pal at Kuyunjik (Nineveh), as long ago as 1851 and noticed then as in a " doubtful character," were compared by Hayes Ward and found to be of the Hamathite class.
- Davis in 1876, and clearly showed Hamathite characters accompanying the figures.
- Skene and George Smith at Jerablus, on the middle Euphrates, led to excavations being undertaken there, in 1878, by the British Museum, and to the discovery of certain Hamathite inscriptions accompanying sculptures, a few of which were brought to London.
- Meanwhile Wright, Ward and Sayce had all suggested " Hittite " as a substitute for " Hamathite," because no other N.Advertisement
- Jerablus was confidently identified with Carchemish (but without positive proof to this day), and the occurrence of Hamathite monuments there was held to confirm the Hittite theory.
- Arpad revolted soon afterwards, but after a siege was taken in 740 B.C. The following year Azariah of Judah appears among the enemies of Tiglath-Pileser, who had overthrown his Hamathite allies and annexed the nineteen districts of Hamath.