Halmstad sentence example
- HALMSTAD, a seaport of Sweden, chief town of the district (lain) of Halland, on the E.
- Mention of the church of Halmstad occurs as early as 1462, and the fortifications are mentioned first in 1225.
- defeated near Halmstad a Danish army which was attempting to retake the district, and :since that time Halland has formed part of Sweden.
- without heirs, in 1448, the Rigsraad elected his distant cousin, Count Christian of Oldenburg, king; but Sweden preferred Karl Knutsson (Charles " VIII."), while Norway finally combined with Denmark, at the conference of Halmstad, in a double of the Union.
- Halmstad >>Advertisement
- The towns with a population exceeding 15,000 in 1900 are Stockholm (300,624), Gothenburg (130,609), Malmo (60,857), Norrkoping (41,008), Gefle (29,522), Helsingborg (24,670), Karlskrona (23,955), Jonkoping (23,143), Upsala (22,855), Orebro (22,013), Lund (16,621), Boras (15,837), Halmstad (15,362).
- Artificial harbours are consequently few, but those at Helsingborg, Malmo, Halmstad, Ystad and Kalmar may be mentioned.
- South of Gothenburg on the open coast are Varberg and Halmstad; and on the Sound are the three large ports of Helsingborg, Landskrona and Malmo.