Halland sentence example
- HALMSTAD, a seaport of Sweden, chief town of the district (lain) of Halland, on the E.
- The lan of Halland formed part of the territory of Denmark in Sweden, and accordingly, in 1534, during his war with the Danes, Gustavus Vasa assaulted and took its chief town.
- defeated near Halmstad a Danish army which was attempting to retake the district, and :since that time Halland has formed part of Sweden.
- He also won Skaane, including the modern provinces of Halland, Kristianstad, MalmOhus and Blekinge, and these remained part of Denmark until the middle of the 17th century.
- Even so, by the peace of Bromsebro (February 8, 1645) Denmark surrendered the islands of Oesel and Gotland and the provinces of Jemteland and Herjedal (in Norway) definitively, and Halland for thirty years.Advertisement
- Ptolemy puts the Gotar in the southern part of the country, and from the earliest historical times their name has been given to the whole region between the Cattegat and the Baltic, exclusive of the provinces of Halland and Skane which down to the 17th century always belonged to Denmark.