Haemon sentence example
- After his death she returned to Thebes, where Haemon, the son of Creon, king of Thebes, became enamoured of her.
- As a punishment she was sentenced to be buried alive in a vault, where she hanged herself, and Haemon killed himself in despair.
- Again, in regard to Antigone's tragic end Sophocles differs from Euripides, according to whom the calamity was averted by the intercession of Dionysus and was followed by the marriage of Antigone and Haemon.
- In Hyginus's version of the legend, founded apparently on a tragedy by some follower of Euripides, Antigone, on being handed over by Creon to her lover Haemon to be slain, was secretly carried off by him, and concealed in a shepherd's hut, where she bore him a son Macon.
- Heracles pleaded in vain with Creon for Haemon, who slew both Antigone and himself, to escape his father's vengeance.Advertisement