Hadleigh sentence example
- Hadleigh was one of the towns in which the woollen industry was started by Flemings, and survived until the 18th century.
- Among the rectors of Hadleigh several notable names appear, such as Rowland Taylor, the martyr, who was burned at the stake outside the town in 1 555, and Hugh James Rose, during whose tenancy of the rectory an initiatory meeting of the leaders of the Oxford Movement took place here in 1833.
- Hadleigh, called by the Saxons Heapde-leag, appears in Domesday Book as Hetlega.
- About 885 IEthelfla d, lady of the Mercians, with the consent of Ã†thelred her husband, gave Hadleigh to Christ Church, Canterbury.
- In the 17th century Hadleigh was famous for the manufacture of cloth, and in 1618 was sufficiently important to receive incorporation.Advertisement
- It was constituted a free borough under the title of the mayor, aldermen and burgesses of Hadleigh.
- In 1635, in a list of the corporate towns of Suffolk to be assessed for ship money, Hadleigh is named as third in importance.
- The farm colony at Hadleigh in Essex has a large acreage under cultivation, with fruit and market gardens and various industrial undertakings.
- The church of Hadleigh is Norman, with an eastern apse, and later additions.
- Adopting reformed views he was made chaplain by Cranmer in 1J40 and presented to the living of Hadleigh, Suffolk, in 1544.Advertisement
- He was sentenced on the 2 2nd, excommunicated on the 2 9 th, degraded by Bonner on the 4th of February, and burnt on the 9th at Aldham Common near Hadleigh.
- In 1827 Rose was collated to the prebend of Middleton; in 1830 he accepted the rectory of Hadleigh, Suffolk, and in 1833 that of Fairsted, Essex, and in 1835 the perpetual curacy of St Thomas's, Southwark.
- It was in his rectory house at Hadleigh, Suffolk, that a meeting of High Church clergymen was held, 25th to 29th of July (Newman was not present), at which it was resolved to fight for "the apostolical succession and the integrity of the Prayer-Book."
- About 885 IEthelfla d, lady of the Mercians, with the consent of Ãƒâ€ thelred her husband, gave Hadleigh to Christ Church, Canterbury.