Gummic sentence example
- Gum arabic may be regarded as a potassium and calcium salt of gummic or arabic acid.
- Graham (Chemical and Physical Researches) recommended dialysis as the best mode of preparing gummic acid, and stated that the power of gum to penetrate the parchment septum is 400 times less than that of sodium chloride, and, further, that by mixing the gum with substances of the crystalloid class the diffusibility is lowered, and may be even reduced to nothing.
- The mucilage must be acidulated with hydrochloric acid before dialysing, to set free the gummic acid.
- Gummic acid reddens litmus, its reaction being about equal to carbonic acid.
- Part of it only is soluble in water, and that resembles gummic acid in being precipitated by alcohol and ammonium oxalate, but differs from it in giving a precipitate with neutral lead acetate and none with borax.Advertisement