Guerra sentence example
- Finally Francesco's wife Lucrezia and his children Giacomo, Bernardo and Beatrice, assisted by a certain Monsignor Guerra, plotted to murder him.
- For what follows, with regard to the Church's conversion of guerra into the Holy War, cf.
- They are Orlando Malavolti (1515-1596), a man of noble birth, the most trustworthy of all; Antonio Bellarmati; Alessandro Sozzini di Girolamo, the sympathetic author of the Diario dell' ultima guerra senese; and Giugurta Tommasi, of whose tedious history ten books, down to 1354, have been published, the rest being still in manuscript.
- Although a large part of the people disliked the idea of a conflict with the church, an alliance with Florence's old enemy Bernabo Visconti was made, war declared, and a balia of 8, the Otto della guerra (afterwards called the "Eight Saints" on account of their good management) was created to carry on the campaign.
- His writings on this subject have been collected in a volume entitled Pagine sulla guerra (Naples, 1919).Advertisement
- His Historia de la guerra del Pacifico is the Peruvian version of that disastrous war.
- The viceroys were chief magistrates, but in legal matters they had to consult the Audiencia of judges, in finance the Tribunal de Cuentas, in other branches of administration the Juntas de Gobierno and de Guerra.
- He was now driven in upon his books for the employment of a restless temperament; and to this irksomeness of enforced leisure may be ascribed the production of the Principe, the Discorsi, the Arte della guerra, the comedies, and the Historie fiorentine.
- His insight into the causes of Italian decadence was complete; and the remedies which he suggested, in the perorations of the Principe and the Arte della guerra, have since been applied in the unification of Italy.
- The year 1520 saw the composition of the Arte della guerra and the Vita di Castruccio.Advertisement
- The attacks on the king were repeated at the trial of the poet Guerra Junqueiro, who was indicted for lese-majeste.
- The military academies are Toledo for infantry, Segovia for artillery, Valladolid for cavalry, Avila for commissariat, Escorial for carabineers, Getafe for civil guards, besides a staff college styled Escuela Superior de Guerra at Madrid.
- Guerra escaped; Lucrezia, Giacomo and Bernardo confessed the crime; and Beatrice, who at first denied everything, even under torture, also ended by confessing.
- A subtle irony pervades the Rimas of Joao Penha, who links the Coimbrans with Guerra Junqueiro and the younger poets.
- She sets her sights on Manuel Fuentes Guerra.Advertisement
- Unfortunately, Matilde's status-conscious mother, Augusta, thwarts the young lovers' romance by forcing her daughter to marry wealthy landowner Manuel Fuentes Guerra (played by Fernando Colunga) in order to save the family from bankruptcy.