Grubenhagen sentence example
- There are several churches, among them the Alexanderkirche, containing the tombs of the princes of Grubenhagen, and a synagogue.
- It is first recorded as a town in 127 4, and in the 1 4 th century was the seat of the princes of Grubenhagen, a branch of the ducal house of Brunswick.
- The best agriculture is to be found in the districts of Hildesheim, Calenberg, GÃ¶ttingen and Grubenhagen, on the banks of the Weser and Elbe, and in East Friesland.
- In 1617 he aided his brother, Duke Christian, to add Grubenhagen to Luneburg, and after the extinction of the family of BrunswickWolfenbuttel in 1634, he obtained Calenberg for himself, making Hanover the capital of his small dukedom.
- When Christian Louis died George William succeeded him in Luneburg-Celle; but the duchy was also claimed by a younger brother, John Frederick, a cultured and enlightened prince who had forsaken the Lutheran faith of his family and had become a Roman Catholic. Soon, however, by an arrangement John Frederick received Calenberg and Grubenhagen, which he ruled in absolute fashion, creating a standing army and modelling his court after that of Louis XIV., and which came on his death in 1679 to his youngest brother, Ernest Augustus (1630-1698), the Protestant bishop of Osnabruck.Advertisement
- The best agriculture is to be found in the districts of Hildesheim, Calenberg, GÃƒ¶ttingen and Grubenhagen, on the banks of the Weser and Elbe, and in East Friesland.