Granton sentence example
- It was he who at a cost of over X500,000 made the harbour at Granton, near Edinburgh.
- To the west lies Granton (pop. 1728), where the 5th duke of Buccleuch constructed a magnificent harbour.
- Before the building of the Forth Bridge the customary approach to Fifeshire and the north-east of Scotland was by means of a steam ferry from Granton to Burntisland, which is still used to some extent.
- Leith, Granton and Grangemouth serve as the chief passenger seaports for Edinburgh.
- This embraced portions of South Leith parish (landward) and of Duddingston parish, including the village of Restalrig and the ground lying on both sides of the main road from Edinburgh to Portobello; and also part of Cramond parish, in which is contained the village and harbour of Granton.Advertisement
- The central public baths in Infirmary Street, with branch establishments in other parts of the town, including Portobello, are largely resorted to, and the proximity of the Firth of Forth induces the keener swimmers to visit Granton every morning.
- It should be added that on the figures of import and export value in 1909, Aberdeen had changed places with Methil, and Burntisland with Granton.
- Until the opening of the Forth bridge, its commodious harbour was the northern station of the ferry across the firth from Granton, 5 m.