Gouvernement sentence example
- At the southern end of the boulevard de la Republique is the square de la Republique, formerly the place Bresson, in which is the municipal theatre; at the other extremity of the boulevard is the place du Gouvernement, which is planted on three sides with a double row of plane trees and is the fashionable resort for evening promenade.
- In his Histoire du gouvernement de Venise he undertook to explain, and above all to criticize, the administration of that republic, and to expose the causes of its decadence.
- At the end of the ancien regime it formed part of the "Gouvernement" of Guienne, and at the Revolution it was incorporated in the department of Lotet-Garonne, of which it constitutes nearly the whole.
- At first Anjou was included in the gouvernement (or military command) of Orleanais, but in the 17th century was made into a separate one.
- The administration of the larger territorial divisions (gouvernement, residentie) is in the hands of Dutch governors, residents, assistant residents and controleurs.Advertisement
- It was on his motion that, on the 25th of February, the government undertook "to guarantee the existence of the workmen by work"; and though his demand for the establishment of a ministry of labour was refused - as beyond the competence of a provisional government - he was appointed to preside over the government labour commission (Commission du Gouvernement pour les travailleurs) established at the Luxembourg to inquire into and report on the labour question.
- In 1796 he published two pamphlets in defence of the Directory and against the counter-revolution, "De la force du gouvernement actuel et de la necessite de se Tallier" and "Des reactions politiques."
- See Minuccio Minucci, Historia degli Uscochi (Venice, 1603); enlarged by P. Sarpi, and translated into French as a supplement to Amelot de la Houssaye's Histoire du gouvernement de Venise (Amsterdam, 1705).
- Till 1790 it was the capital of the gouvernement of Picardy.
- Senac also wrote a moderate exposition of the causes that led to the revolution, entitled Du gouvernement, des mours et des conditions en France avant la Revolution, avec les caracteres des principaux personnages du regne de Louis XVI; the last part was reprinted (1813) by the duc de Levis with a notice of the author as Portraits et caracteres.Advertisement
- Their views were set forth by Guizot in 1816 in his treatise Du gouvernement representatif et de l'etat actuel de la France.
- Under the ancien regime it formed, together with Maine, a gouvernement of which Mortagne was the capital.