Gota sentence example
- The Gota canal route, however, is used by many; the uplands of Dalecarlia (Dalarne) are frequented; and the railway through the Jemtland highlands to Trondhjem gives access to a beautiful region, where numerous sanatoria are in favour with the Swedes themselves.
- It is the chief town of the district (ldn) of Goteborg och Bohus, and the seat of a bishop. It lies on the east or left bank of the river, which is here lined with quays on both sides, those on the west belonging to the large island of Hisingen, contained between arms of the Gota.
- On the north side, closely adjacent, are the Lilla Bommenshamn, where the Gota canal steamers lie, and the two principal railway stations, Statens and Bergslafs Bangard.
- Its principal industrial establishments are mechanical works (both in the city and at Lundby), saw-mills, dealing with the timber which is brought down the Gota, flour-mills, margarine factories, breweries and distilleries, tobacco works, cotton mills, dyeing and bleaching works (at Levanten in the vicinity), furniture factories, paper and leather works, and shipbuilding yards.
- After the fall of Napoleon it began to decline, but after its closer connexion with the interior of the country by the Gota canal (opened 1832) and Western railway it rapidly advanced both in population and trade.Advertisement
- The theories of construction remained rudimentary until early in the 19th century, when the Gota (q.v.) canal was opened.
- There are rich salmon-fisheries in the lower parts of the great northern rivers, especially the Tome, Kalix, Lule, Angerman and Indal; in the Dal, the Klar and GOta, and several of the lesser rivers of the south.
- The coast of the Cattegat north of the Gota El y was reckoned in Norway.
- The new king devoted himself to the promotion of the material development of the country, the Gota canal absorbing the greater portion of the twenty- 1844 four millions of dalers voted for the purpose.
- Trade is carried on by way of the lake and the Gota canal.Advertisement
- It is on the Gota canal route (q.v.).