Gomme sentence example
- Laurence Gomme, in The Governance of London (1907), opposes the view that the city was for a time left deserted (a view which, it may be remarked, is a comparatively modern one, probably originating with Dr Guest).
- Mr Gomme's contention is to some extent a modification of Mr Coote's view, but it is original in the illustrations that give it force.
- Gomme refers to an open space outside the western wall of Dorchester still called the Pummery as an indication of the Pomoerium in that place; and he considers that the name of Mile End, situated 1 m.
- This is only alluded to in Gomme's book, but it is elaborated in an article in the Cornhill Magazine (November 1906).
- Gomme finds important evidence of the independence of London in the existence of a merchant law which was opposed to Anglo-Saxon law.Advertisement
- The view originated by Gomme certainly explains many difficulties in the history of the transition from Roman to English London, which have hitherto been overlooked by historians.
- For many centuries this district between London and Westminster was a kind of " no man's land " having certain archaic customs. Gomme in his Governance of London (1907) gives an account of the connexion of this with the old village of Aldwich, a name that survived in Wych Street, and has been revived by the London County Council in Aldwych, the crescent which leads to Kingsway.
- Athelstan's acceptance of the London-made law for the whole kingdom, as pointed out by Mr Gomme, is another instance of the independence of the Londoner.
- Another version is the medieval romance in The Seven Wise Masters of In the edition printed by Wynkyn de Worde it is told by "the first master" - a knight had one son, a greyhound and a falcon; the knight went to a tourney, a snake attacked the son, the falcon roused the hound, which killed the serpent, lay down by the cradle, and was killed by the knight, who discovered his error, like Llewelyn, and similarly repented (Villon Society, British Museum reprint, by Gomme and Wheatley).
- Apple Car Martini 3cl Calvados 3cl triple sec/Cointreau 2cl fresh lemon juice 1cl gomme syrup Pour all ingredients into a shaker with ice.Advertisement
- Detroit Martini 6cl vodka 2cl gomme syrup 6 fresh mint leaves Place all ingredients into a shaker with ice.
- French 74 2cl vodka 2cl fresh orange juice 1cl gomme syrup champagne Pour all ingredients, except champagne, into a shaker with ice.
- Mr Laurence Gomme (Primitive Folk-Moots, pp. 1 55, 156) takes up the matter at this point, and places the tradition implied by Cade's significant action as belonging to times when the London Stone was, as other great stones were, the place where the suitors of an open-air assembly were accustomed to gather together and to legislate for the government of the city.