Godefridus sentence example
- The rampart was begun by Gu606r (Godefridus), king of Vestfold, early in the 9th century.
- From 777-798 we have mention of a certain Sigifridus as king of the Danes, and then in 804 his name is replaced by that of one Godefridus.
- This Godefridus is the Godefridus-Guthredus of Saxo, and is to be identified also with Guc rti r the Yngling, king in Vestfold in Norway.
- They soon paid a visit to Vestfold, " the extreme district of their realm, whose peoples and chief men were refusing to be made subject to them," and on their return had trouble with the sons of Godefridus.
- In 836 we find one Hone as king of the Danes; he was probably a son of Godefridus.Advertisement
- There is also mention of a third king named Godefridus.
- The exact chronology and relationship of these kings it is impossible to determine, but we know that Healfdene died in Scotland in 877, while Godefridus was treacherously slain by Henry of Saxony in 885.