Giry sentence example
- About this time personal considerations induced Giry to devote the greater part of his activity to the study of diplomatic, which had been much neglected at the Ecole des Chartes, but had made great strides in Germany.
- As assistant (1883) and successor (1885) to Louis de Mas Latrie, Giry restored the study of diplomatic, which had been founded in France by Dom Jean 1Vlabillon, to its legitimate importance.
- Miihlbacher and the editors of the Monumenta Germaniae historica, this part of the joint work was reserved for Giry.
- The preliminary work on the Carolingian diplomas involved such lengthy and costly researches that the Academie des Inscriptions et BellesLettres took over the expenses after Giry's death.
- In the midst of these multifarious labours Giry found time for extensive archaeological researches, and made a special study of the medieval treatises dealing with the technical processes employed in the arts and industries.Advertisement
- Giry took an energetic part in the Collection de textes relatifs a l'histoire du moyen dge, which was due in great measure to his initiative.
- Giry took a keen interest in politics, joining the republican party and writing numerous articles in the republican newspapers, mainly on historical subjects.
- For details of Giry's life and works see the funeral orations published in the Bibliothbque de l'Ecole des Charles, and afterwards in a pamphlet (1899).
- Giry himself published Les Etablissements de Rouen (1883-1885), a study, based on very minute researches, of the charter granted to the capital of Normandy by Henry II.; king of England, and of the diffusion of similar charters throughout the French dominions of the Plantagenets; a collection of Documents sur les relations de la royaute avec les villes de France de 1180 a 1314 (1885); and Etude sur les origines de la commune de Saint-Quentin (1887).
- He is running Phantasma with the help of the Girys, with Madame Giry forcing Meg into prostitution to pay the bills.Advertisement
- Madame Giry overhears the Phantom promise his inheritance to Gustave, much to her alarm.
- The Phantom and Christine find her, led by Madame Giry.