Gilboa sentence example
- 8 Here, too, we learn of the tardy burial of the bones of Saul and Jonathan which had remained in JabeshGilead since the battle of Gilboa; - the history of David's dealings with the family of Saul has been obscured.
- For the greater part the principal mountains are near the watershed; they include Jebel Fuku`a (Gilboa), a range that forms the watershed at the eastern extremity of the plain of Esdraelon.
- Throughout the Old Testament history, however, Galilee as a whole cannot be said to have a history; the unit of territorial subdivision was tribal rather than provincial, and though such important events as those associated with the names of Barak, Gideon, Gilboa, Armageddon, took place within its borders, yet these belong rather to the histories of Issachar, Zebulon, Asher or Naphtali, whose territories together almost correspond with Galilee, than to the province itself.
- The great plain of Esdraelon is of triangular form, bounded by Gilboa on the east and by the ridge which runs to Carmel on the west.
- Mount Tabor stands isolated in the plain at the north-east corner, and rather farther south the conical hill called Nebi Du hi rises between Tabor and Gilboa.Advertisement
- The Nazareth hills and Gilboa are bare and white, but west of Nazareth is a fine oak wood, and another thick wood spreads over the northern slopes of Tabor.
- The ancient capital, Jezreel (Zerin), is now a miserable village on a precipitous spur of Gilboa; north of this are the small mud hamlets, Solam (Shunem), Endur (Endor), Nein (Nain); on the west side of the plain is the ruin of Lej j fin (the Legio of the 4th century, which was then a place of importance).