Ghardaia sentence example
- At Ghardaia, in south-eastern Algeria, the mean annual rainfall, from 1887 to I892, was about 43/4 in.
- The town of Ghardaia (in the local documents Taghardeit) is situated on a mosque-crowned hill in the middle of the Wadi Mzab, 1755 ft.
- Ghardaia, which is divided by walls into three quarters, is built of limestone and the houses are in terraces one above the other.
- Aghrem Baba Saad, a small ruined town to the west of Ghardaia, is the fortified post in which the Beni-Mzab took refuge when the Turks under Salah Rais (about 1555) attempted unsuccessfully to subjugate the country.
- Next to Ghardaia the most important Mzabite town is Beni-Isguen (pop. 4916), an active trading centre.Advertisement
- The caravan route south from Ghardaia brings the traveller, after a journey of 130 m., to the oasis and town of El Golea (pop. about 2500).
- The Algerian Sahara was divided into four territories, officially named Tuggurt, Ghardaia, Ain Sefra and the Saharan Oases (Tuat, Gurara and Tidikelt).