Germersheim sentence example
- The province is well served by railway communication and, for purposes of administration, is divided into the following 16 districts: Bergzabern, Diirkheim, Frankenthal, Germersheim, Homburg, Kaiserslautern, Kirchheimbolanden, Kusel, Landau, Ludwigshafen, Neustadt, Pirmasens, Rockenhausen, St Ingbert, Spires and Zweibriicken.
- The violent seizure of Strassburg by France in 1681 was ratified by the peace of Ryswick in 1697, which recognized the Rhine as the boundary between Germany and France from Basel to about Germersheim.
- Germersheim existed as a Roman stronghold under the name of Vicus Julius.
- As a consequence there ensued the disastrous Germersheim war of succession, which lasted till the peace of Ryswick in 1697.
- See Probst, Geschichte der Stadt and Festung Germersheim (Speyer, 1898).Advertisement
- In the interior only Spandau, Custrin, Magdeburg, Ingolstadt and Ulm were maintained as defensive supporting points, and similarly on the Rhine, which was formerly studded with fortresses from Basel to Emmerich, the defences were limited to New Breisach, Germersheim, Mainz, Cohlenz, Cologne and Wesel, all of a barrier character and not organized specially as centres of activity for field armies.