Geographique sentence example
- But he did not allow his misfortune to put a stop to his work, and in 1708 produced a large Dictionnaire universel geographique et historique in three volumes folio.
- The Bureau of the Indo-Chinese general staff, has published a map of Indo-China, including Cambodia, in 45 sheets (1: 200,000, 1895), while to the service geographique de l'Indo-Chine, organized in 1899, we owe a Carte de l'Indo-Chine (I :500,000).
- Of Morocco there are many maps, among which several compiled by the French service geographique de 1'armee, including a Carte du Maroc (1;200,000), in progress since 1909.
- Maps of the French Africa Colonies have been published by the service geographique de l'Afrique occidental and the service geographique des colonies.
- In South America, in proportion to the area of the country, only few surveys of a thoroughly scientific nature have been made, and it is therefore satisfactory that the service geographique of the French army should be publishing, since 1900, a map of the entire continent on a scale of 1: 1,000,000.Advertisement
- Among the principal of these are: - Memoires de la Societe archeologique de Constantine, Bulletin de la Societe geographique et archeologique d'Oran, Revue africaine of Algiers, to which we should add the Revue archeologique of Paris, the Archives des missions scientifiques and the Bulletin archeologique du Comite des travaux historiques and the Melanges of the French School at Rome.
- Science: Archives internationales de physiologic (1902), published by Leon Fredericq; La Cellule, recueil de cytologic et d'histologie generale (1884); Le Museon (1882); Le Mouvement geographique (1884); Le Musee belge (1897) Revue chirurgicale belge et du nord de la France (1901).
- Lastly, the work of Celestin Port, Dictionnaire historique, geographique et biographique de Maine-etLoire (3 vols., Paris and Angers, 1874-1878), and its small volume of Preliminaires (including a summary of the history of Anjou), contain, in addition to the biographies of the chief counts of Anjou, a mass of information concerning everything connected with Angevin history.
- Bruzen Lamartiniere states in his Dictionnaire Geographique that the Gauls and Bretons called it by a word signifying "the forest," which was turned into Latin as Arduenna silva, and he thinks it quite probable that the name was really derived from the Celtic word ardu (dark, obscure).
- The best general maps are those of the Carte de l'Algerie, in numerous sheets, on the scale of I: 50,000 (published by the Service geographique de l'Armee, Paris).Advertisement
- Ritter (Amsterdam, 1898), containing a series of articles on all subjects connected with the kingdom during the second half of the 19th century, written by specialists; and Les Pays Bas (Leiden, 1899), and La Hollande geographique, ethnologique, politique, &c. (Paris, 1900), both works of the same class as the preceding.
- Klaproth's other works include: Reise in den Kaukasus and Georgien in den Jahren 1807 and 1808 (Halle, 1812-1814; French translation, Paris, 1823); Geographisch-historische Beschreibung des ostlichen Kaukasus (Weimar, 1814); Tableaux historiques de l'Asie (Paris, 1826); Memoires relatifs a l'Asie (Paris, 1824-1828); Tableau historique, geographique, ethnographique et politique de Caucase (Paris, 1827); and Vocabulaire et grammaire de la langue georgienne (Paris, 1827).
- The erudition of Calmet's exegetical writings won him a reputation that was not confined to the Roman Catholic Church, but they have failed to stand the test of modern scholarship. The most noteworthy are: - Commentaire de la Bible (Paris, 23 vols.,1707-1716), and Dictionnaire historique, geographique, critique, chronologique et litteral de la Bible (Paris, 2 vols., 1720).
- A very summary biography is given by Celestin Port, Dictionnaire historique, geographique et biographique de Maine-et-Loire (3 vols., Paris-Angers, 1874-1878), vol.
- A summary biography is given by Celestin Port, Dictionnaire historique, geographique et biographique de Maine-et-Loire (3 vols., Paris-Angers, 1874-1878), vol.Advertisement