Genovesi sentence example
- Dissatisfied with ecclesiastical life, Genovesi resigned his post, and qualified as an advocate at Rome.
- Although bitterly opposed by the partisans of scholastic routine, Genovesi found influential patrons, amongst them Bartolomeo Intieri, a Florentine, who in 1754 founded the first Italian or European chair of political economy (commerce and mechanics), on condition that Genovesi should be the first professor, and that it should never be held by an ecclesiastic. The fruit of Genovesi's professorial labours was the Lezioni di Commercio, the first complete and systematic work in Italian on economics.
- Genovesi died on the 22nd of September 1769.
- Among more general works are Brequigny, Histoire des revolutions de Genes 'usqu'en 1748; Serra, La Storia dell' antica Liguria e di Genova (Turin, 1834) Varesi, Storia della repubblica di Genova sino al 1814 (Genoa, 18 351839); Canale, Storia dei Genovesi (Genoa, 1844-1854), Nuova istoria della repubblica di Genova (Florence, 1858), and Storia della rep. di Genova dall' anno 1528 al 1550 (Genoa, 1874); Blumenthal, Zur Verfassungsand Verwaltungsgeschichte Genua's im 12ten Jahrhundert (Kalbe an der Saalc, 1872); Mallison, Studies from Genoese History (London, 1875).
- Descartes died in 1650 in the communion of the Church, his philosophy contained seeds of revolt; and the sensualism of Locke, popularized in Italy by Genovesi, prepared the way for revolution.Advertisement