Gedaliah sentence example
- 8-10); and where Johanan went against Ishmael to avenge the murder of Gedaliah (Jer.
- Now the penalty had been paid, and the Babylonians, whose policy was less destructive than that of Assyria, contented themselves with appointing as governor a certain Gedaliah.
- The plot resulted in the murder of Gedaliah and an unsuccessful attempt to carry off various princesses and officials who had been left in the governor's care.
- Only the second is specifically said to be from Jerusalem (the remaining are of Judaeans), and the last has been plausibly connected with the murder of Gedaliah, an interval of five years being assumed.
- 5, where Lucian's recension and the Septuagint respectively add the Samaritans!), in view of the circumstances of Gedaliah's appointment (Jer.Advertisement
- Excavation at Nippur in Babylonia has brought to light numerous contract tablets of the 5th century B.C. with Hebrew proper names (Haggai, Hanani, Gedaliah, &c.).
- There are also early Hebrew works, of which one by Gedaliah is extant.
- 22), and after the destruction of Jerusalem was the seat of government under the viceroy Gedaliah (2 Kings xxv.
- 23): here Gedaliah was murdered (ibid.
- He chose the latter and resided with Gedaliah, the native governor, at Mizpah.Advertisement
- Of these, four appear to have passed into general use - the fasts of the loth, 4th, 5th and 7th months - commemorating the beginning of the siege of Jerusalem, the capture of the city, the destruction of the temple, the assassination of Gedaliah.