Gebal sentence example
- The stele of Jehawmelek, king of Gebal, found here, is one of the most important of Phoenician monuments.
- The inhabitants of the Phoenician Gebal and Greek Byblus were renowned as stonecutters and ship-builders.
- Nevertheless Baal submitted in the end, along with the princes of Gebal and Arvad, Manasseh of Judah, and the other Canaanite chiefs; in the island of Cyprus the Assyrians carried all before them ii.
- The mistress of Gebal was no doubt `Ashtart (Astarte in Greek, `Ashtoreth in the Old Testament, pronounced with the vowels of bosheth, " shame "), a name which is obviously connected with the Babylonian Ishtar, and, as used in Phoenician, is practically the equivalent of " goddess."
- She represented the principle of fertility and generation; references to her cult at Gebal, Sidon, Ashkelon, in Cyprus at Kition and Paphos, in Sicily at Eryx, in Gaulus, at Carthage, are frequent in the inscriptions and elsewhere.Advertisement
- The term "Canaan," on the other hand, is confined more especially to the southern district (from Gebal to the south of Palestine).
- ' The phrase was a favourite one of Rib-Addi, king of Gebal.
- In the next reign, however, both father and son caused infinite trouble to loyal servants of Egypt like Rib-Addi, governor of Gubla (Gebal).