Gatchina sentence example
- Saltuikov, who (September 1792) recommended him to the cesarevich Paul Petrovich as the artillery officer most capable of reorganizing the army corps maintained by the prince at Gatchina.
- His inexorable discipline (magnified into cruelty by later legends) soon made the Gatchina corps a model for the rest of the Russian army.
- Arakcheev remorselessly applied the iron Gatchina discipline to the whole of the imperial forces, beginning with the Guards.
- In 1783 the empress gave him another estate at Gatchina, where he was allowed to maintain a brigade of soldiers whom he drilled on the Prussian model.
- The excitement of the change from his retired life in Gatchina to omnipotence drove him below the line of insanity.Advertisement
- At Gatchina an alliance was concluded between Russia and Sweden on the 29th of October 1799.