Gasquet sentence example
- More important was the appointment in 1907 of a commission, under the presidency of Abbot Gasquet, to attempt the restoration of the pure text of the Vulgate as St Jerome wrote it.
- There are plates representing members of the chief orders in Dugdale's Monasticon, and in the books of Gasquet and Steele mentioned above; also (coloured) in Tuker and Malleson, Handbook to Christian Rome, pt.
- The cloth trade flourished for a century and was replaced by silk-weaving, stocking-knitting and glovemaking, all of which have died out., See Abbot Gasquet, Henry VIII.
- Lesser mendicant orders sprang up in all directions - Gasquet mentions half a dozen such that found their way into England (English Monastic Life, p. 241) - in such numbers that the Council of Lyons in 1274 found it necessary to suppress all except the orders already named.
- See Mr Herbert Paul's excellent Introductory Memoir to the interesting volume of Lord Acton's Letters to Mrs Drew (1904), and the authorities cited there; also Dorn Gasquet's Lord Acton and his Circle (1906).Advertisement
- Gasquet, English Monastic Life, pp. 2 34249 (1904), where special information on all the English friars is coveniently brought together..