Garstang sentence example
- In the Middle Kingdom necropolis of Beni Hasan, Garstang found many intact interments in coffins, and in one case the body was well preserved.
- Later excavations have been recorded by Ayrton, Abydos, iii.; Maclver, El Amrah and Abydos; and Garstang, El Arabah.
- Garstang must be followed by more thorough and intensive study before it can be possible to write in more than very general terms of anything but the well-known monuments left by Egyptian kings whose history is already tolerably familiar from other sources.
- John Garstang was the first to employ modern pottery chronology to explore this biblical site.
- Garstang had found a continuous sequence of Egyptian scarabs at the site showing active use until about 1400 BC.Advertisement
- Mr Crowther recently spent three days living in a wooden shack in the market square at Garstang to raise money for Oxfam.
- The palace with its great relief-lined court and its water-gate of Hittite construction, the later Assyrian fortress, and the Hittite tombs with their characteristic pottery, are important results, and the whole work has been one of the major excavations of the last ten years, and has been fitly carried out by the British Museum, under the direction of Dr. Hogarth and Mr. Woolley.Ã‚° The excavations of Dr. Garstang for the university of Liverpool at SakchegOzii, 14 further N., not far from Sinjirli, the seat of earlier German work, have also produced interesting results.
- Gardiner and Cowley of the earliest Semitic script in the hieroglyphic signs found in Sinai.33 Since the war a new British school of archaeology in Jerusalem has been founded under the direction of Prof. Garstang, who has begun for the Palestine Exploration Fund excavations at Ascalon, which have resulted in the discovery of interesting late buildings 34 and this year (1921) in that of a statue of Herod the Great.
- Griffith, 45 which has resulted in an unrivalled series of Nubian pottery from the earliest to the latest times, and that of Prof. Garstang at Meroe, 46 in the far S., which has shown us a barbaric culture of Egyptian origin, strongly influenced by the Ptolemaic and Roman civilization of its time: this is the culture of the Candaces.
- He then said, ..the beacon that has started here in Garstang can spread like wildfire across the whole of the country.Advertisement