Garcelon sentence example
- Smith (" National " or " Greenback "), 41,371; Alonzo Garcelon (1813-1906) (Democratic), 28,218; as no candidate received a majority of the votes, the election was left to the legislature.
- 2 The vote of the House eliminated Connor, and Garcelon was chosen in the Senate by a Democratic-National fusion.
- Again there was no election by popular vote in 1879, and Garcelon and his council, to secure the election of a fusion government, counted-in a fusion majority in the legislature by evident falsification of the returns.
- Chamberlain, to whom the peaceful solution of the difficulty had largely been due, retired from the task assigned him by Garcelon on the 5th of January " to protect the public property and institutions of the state" until Garcelon's successor should be duly qualified.
- Do you remember Dr. Garcelon, who was Governor of Maine several years ago?Advertisement