Ganteaume sentence example
- A squadron of seven sail of the line, under Admiral Ganteaume, succeeded in slipping out of Brest, when a gale had driven the British blockading force off the coast.
- Ganteaume met with some measure of success in capturing isolated British men-of-war, one of them being a 74, the " Swiftsure."
- In July 1804 he ordered his admiral commanding at Toulon, Latouche Treville, to seize an opportunity when Nelson, who was in command of the blockade, was driven off by a northerly gale, to put to sea, with 1 0 sail of the line, pick up the French ship in Cadiz, join Villeneuve who was in the Aix roads, and then effect a junction with Ganteaume and the 21 sail of the line at Brest.
- The blockade of Brest was so strictly maintained that Ganteaume was allowed no opportunity to get to sea.
- Here he was to have remained till joined by Ganteaume from Brest.Advertisement
- On the 1st of June he was joined by a frigate and two line-of-battle ships sent with orders from Rochefort, and was told to remain in the West Indies till the 5th of July, and if not joined by Ganteaume to steer for Ferrol, pick up the French and Spanish ships in the port, and come on to the Channel.