Gallura sentence example
- The cultivation of olives is widespread in the districts of Sassari, Bosa, Iglesias, Alghero and the Gallura.
- The island had (probably since the end of the 9th century) been divided into four districts - Cagliari, Arborea, Torres (or Logudoro) and Gallura - each under a giudice or remained a prisoner at Bologna until his death.
- The Saracens devastated it in the 8th century, but were driven out, and the island returned to the rule of kings, until they fell in the 10th century, their place being taken by four "judges" of the four provinces, Cagliari, Torres, Arborea and Gallura.
- He was supported by his kinsman Giovanni Visconti, judge of Gallura; but almost all the other great families vowed eternal hatred against him, and proclaimed him a traitor to his party, his country and his kin.
- It is the chief town of the Gallura, and has been an episcopal see since the 19th century (with Ampurias).Advertisement
- It was the seat of the giudici of Gallura, sent here by the Pisans in the rith century (but probably the native giudici resided at Tempio), and of an episcopal see, united in 1506 with that of Ampurias.
- The highest point in the north-east group of the island (called Gallura) is Monte Limbara (4468 ft.), S.E.