Gaines sentence example
- There are few river valleys that are noteworthy - those of the Yumuri, the Trinidad and the Gaines.
- Those near San Diego, Guanabacoa and Santa Maria del Rosario (near Havana) and Madruga (near Gaines) are the best known.
- The first railroad in Cuba (and the first in Spanish lands) was opened from Havana to Gaines in 1837.
- Gainesville was settled about 1851, was incorporated in 1873, and was chartered as a city in 1879; it was named in honour of General Edmund Pendleton Gaines (1777-1849), who served with distinction in the War of 1812, becoming a brigadier-general in March 1814 and receiving the brevet of major-general and the thanks of Congress for his defence of Fort Erie in August 1814.
- Gaines took a prominent part in the operations against the Seminoles in Florida in 1817 (when he was in command of the Southern Military District) and in 1836 and during the Mexican War commanded the department of the South-West, with headquarters at New Orleans.Advertisement
- When the Seven Days' battle began Porter's corps had to sustain alone the full weight of the Confederate attack, and though defeated in the desperately fought battle of Gaines's Mill (June 27, 1862) the steadiness of his defence was so conspicuous that he was immediately promoted major-general of volunteers and brevet origadiergeneral U.S.A. His corps, moreover, had the greatest share in the successful battles of Glendale and Malvern Hill.
- He served in Virginia in 1861 and in the Peninsular campaign of 1862, and was wounded at Gaines' Mill.
- Grey was in charge of the fortress of Gaines, which was besieged by the duke of Guise in 1558.
- The Seven Days' Battle (q.v.) opened with the combat of Mechanicsville on the 26th of June, and the battle of Gaines' Mill on the 27th.
- A week later the Federals, again moving to their left, arrived upon the ground on which McClellan had fought two years before, and at Cold Harbor (Porter's battlefield of Gaines' Mill) the leading troops of the Army of the James joined the lieutenant-general.Advertisement
- The Federal detachment retreated during the night to a stronger position in rear at Gaines's Mill near Cold Harbor, and on June 27 the Confederates again attacked Porter's corps.
- He was also with McClellan at the battle of Fair Oaks, and was personally engaged in the sanguinary battle at Gaines Mill on the 27th of June.
- The railway from Havana to Gaines was built between 1835 and 1838.
- P. Gaines, was incorporated as a town in 1869, and was chartered as a city in 1907.
- There were five cities having populations above 25,000 - Havana, 297,159; Santiago, 45,470; Matanzas, 36,009; Cienfuegos, 30,100; Puerto Principe (or Camaguey), 29,616; and fourteen more above 8000 - Cardenas, Manzanillo, Guanabacoa, Santa Clara, Sagua la Grande, Sancti Spiritus, Guantanamo, Trinidad, Pinar del Rio, San Antonio de los Banos, Jovellanos, Marianao, Caibarien and Gaines.Advertisement
- The Heritage at Gaines Ranch has an ideal location, just minutes from shopping and "civilization", but with a view of the Texas Hill Country.
- More common are bad films complete with Gaines Burger commercials.
- Gaines specializes in Cymas and sells a variety of Cyma models.