Figueras sentence example
- During February and March 1808 the frontier fortresses of Pampeluna, St Sebastian, Barcelona and Figueras were treacherously occupied and Spain lay at the feet of Napoleon.
- Macdonald also retook Figueras which the Spaniards had taken on the 9th of April 1811 (Aug.
- Figueras surrendered to Cuesta before the end of May; and peace was formally signed at Paris on the 30th of May.
- FIGUERAS, a town of north-eastern Spain, in the province of Gerona, 14 m.
- Figueras is built at the foot of the Pyrenees, and on the northern edge of El Ampurdan, a fertile and well-irrigated plain,which produces wine, olives and rice,and derives its name from the seaport of Ampurias,.Advertisement
- In 1794 Figueras was surrendered to the French, but it was regained in 1795.
- An annual pilgrimage from Figueras to the chapel of Nuestra Senora de Requesens, r 5 m.
- The abdication of Amadeus led to the proclamation of the federal republic. The senate and congress, very largely composed of monarchists, permitted themselves to be dragged along into democracy by the republican minority headed by Salmeron, Figueras, Pi y Margall and Castelar.
- Matters got to such a climax of disorder, disturbance and confusion, from the highest to the lowest strata of Spanish society, that the president of the executive, Figueras, deserted his post and fled the country.
- It disembarked, under the command of Sir Arthur Wellesley, at Figueras on the 1st of Peninsular War.Advertisement
- Before entering Spain Ferdinand had undertaken to maintain the constitution of 1812, and when on the 22nd of March 1814 he reached Figueras, he was met by a demand on Restoration the part of the Cortes that he must accept all the of Ferdi~