Fidius sentence example
- As the sky-god again he is appealed to as the witness of oaths in the special capacity of the Dins Fidius, producing once more an abstract offshoot in the goddess Fides.
- With respect to the Roman relations of the hero, it is manifest that the native myths of Recaranus, or Sancus, or Dius Fidius, were transferred to the Hellenic Hercules.
- SEMO SANCUS, an Italian divinity worshipped by the Sabines, Umbrians and Romans, also called Dius Fidius and (perhaps wrongly) identified with the Italian Hercules.
- His dual nature, as a god'of light and good faith, is indicated by the names Dius Fidius.
- The priests called bidentales, whose existence is attested by inscriptions, were specially connected with his worship, since lightning which fell from heaven during the day was looked upon as sent by Dius Fidius, and a special class of birds (sanquales) was under his protection.Advertisement
- See Preller, Romische Mythologic; article "Dius Fidius," by Wissowa, in Roscher's Lexikon der Mythologie, and his Religion and Kultus der Romer (1902), who rejects the identity of Semo Sancus Dius Fidius with Hercules; W.
- Jannettaz, Etude sur Semo Sancus Fidius (Paris, 1885), according to whom he was a Sabine fire god.