Feldkirch sentence example
- Feldkirch >>
- RHETICUS, or RHAETICUS (1514-1576), a surname given to GEORGE JOACHIM, German astronomer and mathematician, from his birth at Feldkirch in that part of Tirol which was anciently the territory of the Rhaeti.
- It consists of three districts, Bregenz, Bludenz and Feldkirch, which are under the administrative authority of the Statthalter (or prefect) at Innsbruck, but possess a governor and a diet of their own (twenty-one members), and send four members to the imperial parliament.
- The largest town is Dornbirn (pop. 13; 052), but Bregenz (pop. 7595) is the political capital; Feldkirch has about 4000 inhabitants, while Bludenz has rather more (see the separate articles on the three former).
- Ecclesiastically it is in the diocese of Brixen, whose vicar-general (a suffragan bishop) resides at Feldkirch.Advertisement
- This name is modern and is a collective appellation for the various counties or lordships in the region which the Habsburgs (after they secured Tirol in 1363) succeeded in purchasing or acquiring - Feldkirch (1375, but Hohenems in 1765 only), Bludenz with the Montafon valley (1394), Bregenz (in two parts, 1451 and 1523) and Sonnenberg (14s5).
- C. Heer, Vorarlberg and Liechtenstein - Land and Leute (Feldkirch, 1906); O.
- it also comprises the upper portion of the Samina glen that joins the Ill valley at Frastanz, above Feldkirch.
- of Feldkirch).
- C. Heer, Vorarlberg and Liechtenstein (Feldkirch, 1906); P. Kaiser, Geschichte d.Advertisement