Fehling sentence example
- Among the analytical methods worked up by him the best known is that for the estimation of sugars by "Fehling's solution," which consists of a solution of cupric sulphate mixed with alkali and potassium-sodium tartrate (Rochelle salt).
- "Fehling's solution" is prepared by dissolving separately 34'639 grammes of copper sulphate, 173 grammes of Rochelle salt, and 71 grammes of caustic soda in water, mixing and making up to l000 ccs.; 10 ccs.
- Cane sugar has no reducing power and does not form an hydrazone or osazone; the other varieties, however, reduce Fehling's solution and form hydrazones and osazones, behaving as aldoses, i.e.
- It reduces Fehling's solution in the cold.
- It reduces Fehling's solution, and ammoniacal silver solutions.Advertisement
- Fehling 's solution contains copper(II) ions complexed with tartrate ions in sodium hydroxide solution.