Faxafloi sentence example
- The great bays on the west of the island (Faxafloi and Bre161fjor6r), 2 as well as the many bays on the north, which are 1 Jtikull, plural jtiklar, Icel.
- Earthquakes are frequent, especially in the districts which are peculiarly volcanic. Historical evidence goes to show that they are closely associated with three naturally defined regions: (I) the region between Skjalfandi and Axarfjdrllr in the north, where violent earth tremblings are extremely common; (2) at Faxafloi, where minor vibrations are frequent; (3) the southern lowlands, between Reykjanes and Myrdalsj6kull, have frequently been devastated by violent earthquake shocks, with great loss of property and life, e.g.
- Sulphur springs and boiling mud lakes are also general in the volcanic districts; and in places there are carbonic acid springs, these more especially on the peninsula of Snaefellsnes, north of Faxafloi.
- The largest town is Reykjavik on Faxafloi, with 6700 inhabitants, the capital of the island, and the place of residence of the governorgeneral and the bishop. Here the Althing meets; and here, further, are the principal public institutions of the island (library, schools, &c.).
- ved den sydlige Del of Faxafloi paa Island " (1903); " Lavaorkener og Vulkaner paa Islands Hojland " (1905).Advertisement