Favras sentence example
- Favras took into his confidence certain officers by whom he was betrayed; and, with his wife, he was arrested on Christmas Eve 1789 and imprisoned in the Abbaye.
- A fortnight later they were separated, Favras being removed to the Chatelet.
- It was stated in a leaflet circulated throughout Paris that Favras had organized a plot of which the count of Provence was the moving spirit.
- The count hastened publicly to disavow Favras in a speech delivered before the commune of Paris and in a letter to the National Assembly, although there is no reasonable doubt of his complicity in the plot that did exist.
- Favras was generally regarded as a martyr to his refusal to implicate the count of Provence, and Madame de Favras was pensioned by Louis XVI.Advertisement
- She left France, and her son Charles de Favras served in the Austrian and the Russian armies.
- The official dossier of Favras's trial for high treason against the nation disappeared from the Chatelet, but its substance is preserved in the papers of a clerk.