Eye-stalks sentence example
- The view is commonly held that these eye-stalks are really limbs, homologous with the other appendages.
- The evidence of embryology is decidedly against the view that the eye-stalks are limbs.
- It is to be noted, however, that the Trilobita, which, according to the classification here adopted, are dealt with under Arachnida, are not very far removed, except in such characters as the absence of a shellfold and of eye-stalks, from the primitive Crustacean here sketched.
- The brain no longer consists solely of the nerve-ganglion-mass proper to the prostomial lobe, as in Chaetopoda, but is a composite (syncerebrum) produced by the fusion of this and the nerve-ganglion-masses proper to the prosthomeres or segments which pass forwards, whilst their parapodia (= appendages) become converted into eye-stalks, and antennae, or more rarely grasping organs.
- A, A walking leg; p ' to p 4, Since the eye-stalks of Podophthalthe characteristic " pads "; f, mate Crustacea represent appendthe foot; cl', c1 2, the two ages, we are forced to the conclusion claws.Advertisement
- Smith remarks that it has "distinctly faceted black eyes," although in them "there are only a very few visual elements at the tips of the immobile eye-stalks."