Exercitus sentence example
- At first the districts were purely military, were called, after the garrisons, "exercitus Germanicus superior" (south) and "inferior" (north).
- These armed men formed the exercitus romanae militiae, who were the forerunners of the free armed burghers of the Italian cities of the middle ages.
- The exercitus of Rome was divided into scholae, and had a chief or patronus, and its banner.
- Diehl is of opinion that the exercitus was formed of the ancient "possessores," or landowners and free townsmen, who were of a less rank than the ordo senatorius.
- When the enrolment was completed the whole host (exercitus) was the best organized and most representative gathering that Rome could show.Advertisement