Ex-slaves sentence example
- The elections were controlled for a few years, and violence was checked, but the Ku Klux movement went on until it accomplished its object by giving protection to the whites, reducing the blacks to order, replacing the whites in control of society and state, expelling the worst of the carpet-baggers and scalawags, and nullifying those laws of Congress which had resulted in placing the Southern whites under the control of a party composed principally of ex-slaves.
- For several years the ex-slaves were under the almost absolute control of the bureau.
- Masters were allowed to keep their ex-slaves as " apprentices " until the 1st of December 1838.
- A mass of ex-slaves wandering around aimlessly for a few decades do not just become nomads!
- He also wears the pileus, the felt cap worn by ex-slaves when they have received their liberty.Advertisement