Eurystheus sentence example
- By the craft of Hera, his foe through life, his birth was delayed, and that of Eurystheus, son of Sthenelus of Argos, hastened, Zeus having in effect sworn that the elder of the two should rule the realm of Perseus.
- After purification he was sent by the Pythia to serve Eurystheus.
- She misled even Zeus to take a hasty oath, whereby Heracles became subject to Eurystheus.
- Having murdered his stepbrother Chrysippus, Atreus fled with Thyestes to Mycenae, where he succeeded Eurystheus in the sovereignty.
- Heracles, whom Zeus had originally intended to be ruler of Argos, Lacedaemon and Messenian Pylos, had been supplanted by the cunning of Hera, and his intended possessions had fallen into the hands of Eurystheus, king of Mycenae.Advertisement
- After the death of Heracles, his children, after many wanderings, found refuge from Eurystheus at Athens.
- Eurystheus, on his demand for their surrender being refused, attacked Athens, but was defeated and slain.
- Accordingly, after three years, Hyllus marched across the isthmus of Corinth to attack Atreus, the successor of Eurystheus, but was slain in single combat by Echemus, king of Tegea.
- Eurystheus imposed upon Heracles the task of clearing out all his stalls unaided in one day.
- Augeas had promised him a tenth of the herd, but refused this, alleging that Heracles had acted only in the service of Eurystheus.Advertisement
- To carry off these cattle to Greece was one of the twelve "labours" imposed by Eurystheus upon Heracles.
- Geryon started in pursuit, but fell a victim to the arrows of Heracles, who, after various adventures, succeeded in getting the cattle safe to Greece, where they were offered in sacrifice to Hera by Eurystheus.