Ethbaal sentence example
- In contrast to Hiram I., king of Tyre, Ithobal or Ethbaal is styled in 1 Kings xvi.
- Under Ethbaal further expansion is recorded; Botrys north of Byblus and Aoza in North Africa are said to have been founded by him; the more famous Carthage owed its origin to the civil discords which followed the death of Metten I.
- From the time of Ethbaal onwards the independence of Phoenicia was threatened by the advance of Assyria.
- In the great campaign of 701 Sennacherib came down upon the revolting provinces; he forced Lull., king of Sidon, to fly, for refuge to Cyprus, took his chief cities, and set up Tuba'lu (Ethbaal) as king, imposing a yearly tribute ii.
- At Sidon the successor of Ethbaal was Abd-milkath; in alliance with a Cilician chief he rebelled against Esarhaddon about the year 678, with disastrous consequences.Advertisement